Thursday, January 2, 2014

Be Intentional

Intentional is my word for 2014. Over the past three months of marriage I realize how very unintentional I am. I'll browse the internet for longer than I should, I Facebook stalk for an hour, I watch an additional TV show a night, I push laundry (and ironing! *I shudder even thinking about it*) off because I don't like doing it, I don't mop the floor because it's my most hated chore ever, I don't exercise because I'm lazy. All of these things I do because I can waste time like no one's business. Then I blame it on "being busy" when in reality I'm just being lazy.

This year I plan on being more intentional not only with my personal life but with my professional life as well. I put lots of projects on the back burner at work because it's something I don't enjoy doing. This year I'm going to try to improve on that and just suck it up and get it done. Oh yeah, and this year I plan on figuring out what I want to do with my work life. 

The past few days I've already put my word for the year in use and it's honestly amazing how much more time you have when you're not doing something frivolous with your time. I've started picking up the living room each night before going to bed (and the kitchen as well!), I'll put laundry way on my way upstairs instead of making a special trip, I'll actually do laundry between commercial breaks. It's amazing what you can get done if you just do it and not prolong it!

Do you have a word you want to live by in 2014?

4 comments:

Julie said...

I think that needs to be my husband's word! He puts it off until he's in trouble or sleeps in really late and needs to make up for that. As for my word, hmm, I'll have to think about that. Maybe dreamer as I'm still dreaming about getting my career.

Jordan said...

This seems to be everyone's word for 2014! I love it!

We are SO much alike! I always say I'm busy when I just do ridiculous things and choose to be lazy.

Maggie Prater said...

I have been reading and writing about intentional living for a little while now myself. It does seem to be a buzz word right now, but there is so much to be gained from being present in our own lives! I started a new blog to chronicle my journey to intention: Itsbellasbedtime.blogspot.com. Maybe we can encourage each other! Best wishes!

Allison said...

Great choice for the year. I love how everyone picks a word and yet I haven't seen two people with the same word. Mine is live. Because I want to take chances and live my best life possible this year.