Monday, October 28, 2013

One Month Married

It feels like ages since I've looked at this blank page to fill my thoughts. There has been so many times that I've wanted to sit down and write but just haven't had the time. Being an OCD clean freak doesn't do much for your blogging, since - you know - you can't rest until your house is 100% up to your standards (which, finally happened this week!). I finally feel like my life is getting back to a routine and if you know me, I thrive on routine.

Today marks one month of being married. I feel like ever since we said "I do" life hasn't slowed down. Didn't we just come back from our honeymoon?! But since it has in fact been a month since that glorious day in September, I'd thought I'd share some observations I have on marriage up until this point (because you know, I'm an old married woman now ;) ).



Some say that marriage has showed them how selfish they are, for me - it's the exact opposite. I'd much rather that I do all the laundry, cleaning, and cooking. I feel like that is my job being a wife. I like making sure he is taken care of every day. I would feel guilty if he did that stuff for me. Although I did come home one day this week and every stitch of clothing was washed and dried - now that was nice :)!

Moving out of my parent's house wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I have always lived with my parents. I've never once moved away. I will not deny that I shed many, many tears...especially when I packed up my clothes and when my furniture got loaded onto a trailer to bring to our house. It hurt. It hurt leaving all that I'd know for 25 years. It felt weird that first morning I went back to work and I wasn't getting ready with my mama. I'm a very sentimental person and the thought of leaving slightly terrified me. However, time heals all wounds and I can say that I dealt with moving out better than I thought I would. I still have my sad moments, but I thoroughly enjoy having my own home. I love my parents dearly...but it was time to get away from the nest.

Sleeping with another person is hard. This has probably been the most challenging thing for me. I'm used to having a big, nice cozy bed for myself. Now I sleep with a man who snores (he says I do too, I don't believe him) and is a personal space heater (I wake up most nights sweating like I just got out of the gym). But you know what? I wouldn't trade it for the comfort it gives me to know he's there and for all those mornings he pulls me close to snuggle. It's just one of the perks of being married - no matter how bad you sleep :).

We've argued, twice. Most people say that things change when you get married. I know I've only been married a month, but I disagree. Nathan and I used to argue, a lot. Now that we're hitched, we don't. We've since agreed that the reason we argued is because we didn't see enough of each other. Honestly, we've never gotten along better and I think a major contributing factor to that is that we were together a long time before we got married. We knew what we were getting into.


One month down and many, many more to go! I love you Nathan - I couldn't imagine life without you!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Aww, happy 1 month! That's awesome. I love that y'all are arguing less now. I'm sure being married makes you more in love, too ;)

Jordan said...

So glad you finally posted! Loved this :)

Vanessa said...

The secret to us sleeping in the same bed? Different blankets. That man is a space heater and I cannot sleep when I'm hot. So we have separate blankets and it has saved a lot of sleepless nights. 8)